Senior Legal Counsel
About the Company
Savills Investment Management is an international real estate investment management firm. We are a dedicated real estate and real-estate debt specialist managing €26 billion on behalf of institutional investors globally (as of 30 September 2022). Our purpose is to build prosperity by investing in resilient real assets. Our vision is to be a trusted investment manager, respected for our expertise in restorative Real Estate investment enabling people, communities and ecosystems to thrive.
The firm has over 30 years of experience delivering real estate strategies for investors, with over 380+ staff dedicated to positive client outcomes. Our global platform comprises 17 locations in 14 countries enabling us to combine a truly global perspective with local expertise to offer investors a range of compelling strategies.
Our strategies span Logistics & Industrial, Living, Office, Retail and Debt investments, and have been designed with the flexibility to meet the needs of a wide range of investors.
ESG is integrated into our investment-management process to ensure that ESG risks and opportunities are not siloed, but recognised and acted upon throughout our business, as well as communicated to investors.
The role is to support the General Counsel in providing an effective legal function to the Savills IM group. The role is based in Luxembourg, with a key component of the job focused on supporting our Luxembourg manager (AIFM) on new and existing products. The role will however be global in nature, and the incumbent will have the opportunity to work with Savills IM businesses throughout Europe and APAC on an as-needed basis. Travel will mostly be to the UK to meet colleagues and other members of the Legal function but is expected to be relatively infrequent.
The role reports to the General Counsel. The successful applicant will interact independently with business stakeholders and therefore requires excellent communication skills (verbal and written), professional judgement and an ability to build and maintain working relationships in a role that combines both support and control elements.
Assisting and supporting the General Counsel across the spectrum of the in-house legal function, in particular:
- Providing legal support to real estate projects of strategic or key importance, including joint ventures and/or fund launches or restructurings;
- Providing legal support on real estate transactions where legal risk or complexity is identified, including attendance at transaction advisory or portfolio advisory committee meetings;
- Working with the business and overseeing external lawyers on the legal aspects of structuring and documenting new products or the amendment/restructuring of existing funds or products;
- Working with the business and Group Legal in respect of any M&A activity or intra-group matters;
- Working with the business and interacting with Compliance and other relevant teams in respect of the impact of regulatory change (including but not limited to Brexit issues);
- Working alongside the real estate business teams and Group Legal to track and manage litigation;
- Supervision of external counsels’ work, ensuring that appropriate firms are selected and engaged by Savills IM, and its investment vehicles, on appropriate terms and monitoring performance; and
- Reviewing and negotiating standalone minor agreements such as NDAs, duty of care agreements and intra-group agreements.
- Providing generalist support to the senior management and board of the Luxembourg AIFM to assist with the fulfilment of regulatory obligations.
Candidates will need to demonstrate excellent organisational and communication skills, as well as being fluent in verbal and written English. Further language skills are useful but not essential. Other key qualities include:
- Legal qualification, ideally in England or Luxembourg (other jurisdictions will be considered), with demonstrable experience of real assets/alternatives funds and/or joint ventures
- an understanding of legal, regulatory and tax issues relating to real estate transactions and investment structures across Europe and Asia-Pacific, in particular the AIFM regime and the requirements of the CSSF in Luxembourg (such as Circular 18/698)
- experience in legal firm or in-house of drafting and negotiating real asset fund investments and product terms;
- ability to give practical, solutions-based legal advice appropriate to the business’ strategy and requirements
- strong communication skills and the ability to establish strong relationship within the business, Group Legal and external counsel.
This role has been established as full time but we are happy to consider flexible or part-time working requests.
We are a committed equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, race and religion. We are focused on fostering a culture and environment that allows for inclusion and diversity throughout our business. Savills IM offers several employee led forums which provide support and guidance around Diversity & Inclusion, as well as ensuring our principles are built in to all of our processes, practices and expectations.
- Employment type
Competitive Holiday AllowanceWe recognise the importance of time away from work and offer competitive annual leave
Global and Local NetworkingJoin in the fun of our social events, from holiday parties to summer hikes with your office colleagues.
Rewards for youWe reward our employees for loyalty and performance, and offer competitive salaries and performance bonuses.
Time for what mattersOur volunteering/charity days afford you the opportunity to give back to local communities, from soup kitchens, to canal clean-ups and bake sales.
Our people are at the core of everything we do
With offices in over 15 locations globally, Savills IM employees love to get together when they can, to network, learn, collaborate and most importantly have fun!
Senior Legal Counsel
Loading application form